New eating habits, actual trends in production and consumption have a health, environmental and social impact. The European Union is fighting diseases characteristic of a modern age, such as obesity, osteoporosis, cancer, diabetes, allergies and dental problems. Developed countries are also faced with problems relating to aging populations, high energy foods, and unbalanced diets.
Consumption patterns vary significantly across Europe, from more southern healthy diets (rich in fruits and vegetables), to the northern ones (rich in animal fat and animal food products). Another striking difference is the fact that in northern European countries, eating is an individual affair, whereas in continental and southern countries consumers attach importance to the social dimension of food and sharing a meal . These nutritional/consumption differences across Europe contribute greatly to the apparent differences in the health of populations on the continent. In spite of the fact that today’s consumers are increasingly attentive to food safety, quality and health-related issues, the population in the European Union (EU) is still fighting with the diseases of a modern age such as obesity, osteoporosis, cancer, diabetes, allergies, stress and dental problems.
Furthermore, food additives, toxins and emerging food pathogens potentially present in fresh products and processed food present another threat, with their real effects being confounded by their adverse and synergistic effects. On the other hand, the increasingly aging populations in Europe require different foods for healthy aging . Increased energy uptake, unbalanced diets, and highly processed foods used in fast food products are huge problems, which the EU and other developed countries such as the United States of America have to overcome.
Functional foods are similar in appearance to conventional foods; the former being consumed as part of the normal diet. In contrast to conventional foods, functional foods, however, have demonstrated physiological benefits and can reduce the risk of chronic disease beyond basic nutritional functions, including maintenance of gut health . When food is being cooked or prepared using “scientific intelligence” with or without knowledge of how or why it is being used, the food is called “functional food”. Thus, functional food provides the body with the required amount of vitamins, fats, proteins, carbohydrates, etc., needed for its healthy survival.
We understand that each pharmaceutical manufacturing facility is unique and requires a dedicated examination of technical feasibility and an economic analysis to find the right, cost-effective design solution. Furthermore we know the importance of Cost, Quality and Time Schedule for a market that is subject to a rapid evolution process.
Taking into consideration these concepts Biotech Division can offer a complete range of services for any type of “Pharmaceutical facility”, covering the following activities:
- Consultancy (GMP audit/GAP analysis, Project URS preparation, Assistance to Site Selection, Site Master Planning, Feasibility Study, Conceptual Design, Support for Process Simulation)
- Engineering & Construction (Basic Design, Authority Engineering/Permittin, Project Management, Project Control, Procurement Supervision, Construction Management)
- Handover (Commissioning, Qualification/Validation, Start-up & training)
With high focus interest to:
- Bulk Chemical (API) plants (High Potent APIs, Antibiotics, Herbal/animal sources extracts, Sterile bulk APIs)
- Biotechnology plants (Viral / bacterial vaccines, Recombinant therapeutic proteins, Plasma fractions, Transgenic proteins, Antibiotics)
- Formulation, fill/finish and packaging plants (Sterile injectables (LVP/SVP), Oral solids/liquids, Topicals, Freeze dried forms, Inhalations)
- R&D and pilot plants (Research labs, Biocontained Labs, Pilot plants, Animal houses, Auditoriums / conference facilities, QA/QC Labs )
- Other production support functions, such as warehouses and material handling systems, utilities plants, etc.
- Medical devices manufacturing plants
- Extraction and Refining Process for Bio Active Nutraceticals Ingredients